Sunday, July 6, 2008

What it means to BE...

Yesterday, I spent the day doing two things that really interest me: doing makeup and bartending. Both of them had me tired as hell, but I must say I enjoyed them both. Now, anybody that really knows me, knows what my ultimate dream in life is. And everyday, I'm seeing that dream become more and more of a reality. Doing makeup yesterday was something like an eye-opener for me. I was at a wedding assisting a make-up artist while she did everyone's face in the bridal party. There was one other assistant there too. This older lady. Let's call her Mary. Mary, like myself, is an "aspiring" make-up artist. When we go on these events or shows, we are there just to assist, watch and learn. I soak up everything around me at these events, because my mentor is extremely good at what she does. I mean, the girl is BAD!!! And I've been truly blessed to have met her and to work with her. I hear what she asks me to do. I listen to her and I follow through. What I've found at these events is that, even though I've been introduced as "the assistant", the clients still look to me as the professional. For so long, I've never looked at myself as a "professional make-up artist". I would always tell people that I know how to do my make-up, but not others. But at the same time, I always wanted to be a make-up artist. So when I met my mentor and began to do events with her, I was sort of thrown into a professional role. The clients would come to me and ask me questions that they would ask a professional, and I'm thinking, "Lady, I am not a professional! Don't you know this!" So, between meeting my mentor for the first time and yesterday, I've been practicing on my sister and friends, so that I can become familiar with working on other people. I'm getting some of the movements down, and learning how to maneuver around my kit. My best friend, Neace, always comes to me for tips on make-up and hair, and I'm like, "Damn, am I a professional?". So yesterday, I went to the event and I felt really confident, more confident than usual. When my mentor gave orders or requests, I listened so that she would not have to repeat them. These events are high pressure, and having to do the same thing over and over can only add to these pressures. I watched my mentor and the way she moved across the clients' faces. She was a professional. Then, I watched Mary, the other assistant. And I realized, she came across as nervous. Not a trait you would see in a professional. And I decided right then: If I want to be a make-up artist, THEN I AM GOING TO BE A MAKE-UP ARTIST! I am going to talk like one. I am going to walk like one. I am going to move like one. Because I am one. How else am I going to get there unless I just do it. So, my life lesson for today is to simply be who/what you want to be. And when you've found your calling, that statement will mean everything to you. So thank you to my best friends, Neace and Sparkle and all those others for pushing me to BE.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! That was a good idea to start a blog! You can just say what you want to say how you want say when you want to say it!

Your topic is definitely on point. In order for us to get to where we want to be, we have to just jump into those shoes head on and BE what it is that we want to BE - no questions asked! I think that we do tend to get sort of stuck into thinking a certain way because maybe our ideas are outside the realm of what people tend to think or it wasn't something originally planned, but as long as the idea is what makes us happy then why not pursue it!

--Turtle/Sparkle/Powder

Victoria said...

Thanks girl! :) I'm glad you read it. I realized that yesterday and I was like, that's really all it's going to take for me to do what I want to do. I just got to do it.

Vee said...

Vic!!! I was so inspired by your blog! I'm going to just BE too - once I figure out what it is I want to BE! But yeah - thanks for the shout outs and I'm going to start my blog again. And...You are SO PROFESSIONAL to me when you do make-up and hair and I love that! In my living room, your dining room, Turtle's kitchen - wherever we are YOU ARE THAT DEAL! You know I love you and love the gift that you have. Use it, embrace it and work the hell out of it!

Your #1 Client,
Neace

Anonymous said...

Victoria...this truly inspired me!! wow is all I can say. I didnt know that those things were sparked in you like that. I praise God for your vision is becoming clearer. I am proud to know you and watch you grow. All I can tell you is that true success comes from above..:) love you girl.....

The Glam Doctor

Absolute Positivity said...

Very Very good Vic. You have decided to do something that usually terrifies others. To just have confidence in yourself and embrace the gift that you have been given. You can't BE anything if you can't see it or feel it. You have to put your feet in those shoes and take off running. Dreams only come to us in our sleep...we then have to decide to make those dreams a reality...I like to call it DreamAlity (to become real) One of my friends once told me something very wise, so now I say this to you...if you want to feel like a make up artist, if you want to be around the best make up artists, if you want to be respected as a makeup artists...then you have to BE a makeup artist!

Best of Luck from one Dreamer to Another!
*Toy

Anonymous said...

Wow! you made me wanna quit my job and just do it. lol that was very inspriational. Truly man to find ya calling is a blessing. Im proud of you man!